Monday, June 27, 2011

Mental Fatigue

Today, I am tired.

Day three of 12 into my mental health rotation, and I am mentally exhausted.  Although not nearly as physically demanding as previous rotations, this one just seems to drain all of my brain power - not to mention the anxiety created by being locked-in (we even have to ask the nurses to let us into the locked bathrooms!).  I can only imagine what it is like for the poor patients who have to re-tell their story to every group of students, and who have to deal with energy and stigma of mental illness every day, locked in a medicated cage.  

I have learned that mental illness is much more prevalent than I had previously thought, and that with treatment, many patients can be pleasant, functioning members of society.  I have also glimpsed the darkness that can swallow people whole, with delusions that are as real to a patient as anything you or I might see or hear.  It's a hard thing to wrap my head around.  I'm still working on it.

Also, I'm pretty sure that writing care-plans could be used as a torture technique.

I've been told that sometimes nurses develop a dark sense of humor to deal with stress, and here is my attempt with a video.  My official diagnosis of Jack Johnson here: paranoia and ideas of reference.  
Besides I just love J.J. and I think this video is funny.



3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Just stumbled across your blog. I, too, am in my final semester and will have my RN in Dec. 11.

    I agree about the mental health rotation being draining. I didn't do much but sit and talk to people and I left every day with a headache and just exhausted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. zuecos enfermera Cool stuff you have were given and also you praise update each one folks.

    ReplyDelete

I don't hate comments!