Monday, October 31, 2011

Options

Ok let's talk about options.

First, new-grad nurse residency programs vs. preceptorship (assuming that I could actually get a spot in a new-grad program and get hired at a hospital without one, and would have the option to choose).  I know that there are statistics that show that new grads who go through the residency program make less mistakes and are generally more satisfied with the transition from student to RN.  However, I feel like the length of some of the programs might be overkill, and I wonder if I would appreciate the increased autonomy of a shortened preceptorship instead.  I would have to start applying to new-grad programs now for a March start.  Thoughts?  Experiences?

Second, what about joining a professional organization (e.g. ANA, ONS, etc.)?  I know if I join now as a student, I get a discounted membership.  Are there real benefits besides receiving a journal in the mail?

Third, how about NCLEX prep courses?  I could pay a whole bunch of money for a Kaplan course that guarantees that I will pass on the first try...or I can take my chances with my NCLEX review books.  Has anyone taken the Kaplan course?  Any other ideas?



2 comments:

  1. Dude, you should talk to Kyle about his experience with all these things. I think you'll find that it's a bit different than the party line we're getting at the CON...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes! I hope I get the chance to do that D!

    ReplyDelete

I don't hate comments!