Tuesday, January 18, 2011

So far...so good!

Well I'm two workouts into my New Year's resolutions and already thinking about procrastinating the reading for the first classes next week.  
Bad idea, I know.  
While pondering my options and taking full advantage of my vacation, I started to reflect on my nursing school journey thus far.  I thought it would be appropriate to post a list of things I have learned in my first two semesters of nursing school.  Not a list of skills and facts I have memorized, but things I wish I had known before starting last summer.



********** 

So here's what I've come up with (not necessarily in order of importance):

1.  There is A LOT of reading.  It's hard to keep up with.  But class will be so much harder if you don't.

2.  Find good shoes.  I mean really good shoes.  I know that the best shoes are often the most expensive, but it will be worth the investment after two days in a row of 10 or 12 hour shifts.

3.  Nursing requires a good deal of physical strength and stamina. Who needs to exercise?  Oh yeah, I do.
(By the way, I haven't tried that 5 hour energy drink, but I think I might.)

4.  If you have a question, don't be afraid to ask.  Chances are there is someone else with the same question.

5.  If you have the opportunity to practice a skill with a real patient, and they are willing, DO IT!  Dummies are nothing like the real thing and you may not get another opportunity until you are a real nurse.

6.  Eat and hydrate when you can during shifts.

7.  Be open to constructive criticism.  No person is perfect, and your instructors and peers can help you improve if you will listen.

8.  Use caution buying used textbooks online.  Although hundreds of dollars can be saved, you may not get what you ordered.

9.  Be thankful and be kind to your patients, instructors, peers and other healthcare professionals you encounter.  You may need some support or a letter of recommendation someday, or an opportunity to start an IV for the first time ever.

10.  Get a laptop.  Take it to class.  Take notes directly onto the power point presentation and save.  STOP PRINTING! Save as much money on paper and ink as possible - trust me - it adds up more quickly than you think.

10.  Balance.  You work hard, and you study hard, but take care of yourself and don't forget your family and friends!  Sometimes it is totally worth it to have a glass of wine and watch Grey's Anatomy with your honey instead of poring over pharmacology notes a third time.
(BTW, have you noticed the hot hot male NURSE that is flirting with Dr. Bailey?  Love it!)

**********

So here I go into a dual clinical semester armed with this knowledge and eager to add to the list.  This semester will bring an added challenge/learning opportunity as I have been assigned to the night shift for my pediatric rotation.  I have no idea how this will go...I am usually asleep by 10 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't hate comments!