Tuesday, January 3, 2012

2011: Let's Review

So things got pretty busy there in the last semester of nursing school.  My little blog kind of fell off the map while I scurried to finish projects and papers and financial aid paperwork in anticipation of the big G day.  As I was transferring information from my old 2011 planner to my new 2012 planner, I reflected a little on the past year.

January
I reluctantly started the dreaded double-clinical block with Peds and OB. 

February
I completed my OB rotation this month - delivered some babies and taught some new moms how to breastfeed.  Woo-hoo!  Decided that too much knowledge is a dangerous thing (for future pregnancy and motherhood).

March
This month I had my first taste of the night shift during my Pediatric rotation.  FYI, babies are a lot less pleasant than adults when you wake them up with a blood pressure cuff in the middle of the night.  Similar to OB, I felt totally inept at caring for my tiny human patients with no prior personal experience.  I did love the atmosphere of the hospital, however, and the nurses seemed to really love their jobs.  Also, I got to spend one day on the oncology/BMT unit, and I loved it - even the sick kiddos.  Their spirits made me smile.

After a lazy spring break, I started block two of the semester with Med-Surg II.  What a better experience than Med-Surg I!  Things started to actually make sense in this class.

April
  I completed my clinical rotation on an organ transplant unit, which was really interesting and challenging.  I learned that as quickly as modern medicine advances, it is not quick enough for some.  Cancer patients aren't the only ones with a long hard treatment road.  I learned about family-centered care, and witnessed the emotional strain and outpouring of compassion of a seasoned nurse in the field.
May
Finally enjoyed some time off!  J. and I traveled back to my hometown to help my Dad brand his new baby calves.  I'm going to make a cowboy out of J. yet.

 June
Mental health - not within my comfort zone, although I recognize its importance and implications for other areas of practice.

July
More mental health, a big case study paper, and a couple of fun weddings!  I also celebrated the life of my Papa Virgil, who passed away from Alzheimer's Disease.

August
This month gave me some more time off - a much needed break before the last semester.

September & October
Bioethics and Senior Integrated Practicum on a busy oncology unit.  Finally, my unit of choice!  Unfortunately, night shift again.  However, I learned so much from my incredibly knowledgeable and experienced preceptor.  Despite my grumblings about not being placed at my first choice site, I had a great experience, improved my organizational and prioritization skills, and met a lot of neat patients.  I also completed a teaching poster for the unit about Graft Versus Host Disease.

November
This month found me closer to home as I completed my Public Health rotation at a rural county agency near my parents.  I gained valuable experience about the politics of rural small towns and the jobs of rural health professionals.  Although I knew it existed, the shortage of qualified health professionals in many rural areas was made very clear to me.  I enjoyed working with people I knew, and I completed a Health Planning Project about improving the environmental health inspections of child care facilities.

December
GRADUATION

2011 was a good year for me in nursing school.  I passed all of my dosage calculation exams on the first shot, and avoided killing any of my "patients" in simulation (or in real life).  I also made some great connections with instructors and preceptors, as well as patients.  And most of all, I earned another degree (more is better, right?).  Now if I can just pass that NCLEX!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't hate comments!