Tuesday, November 9, 2010

An Empty House




This is my Papa Virgil.  Only he doesn't remember.

He doesn't remember taking me to the sale barn early in the mornings for breakfast.
He doesn't remember the little barn he built for all "My Little Ponies".
He doesn't remember being the subject of my World War II history project.
He doesn't remember how proud he was when I told him I wanted to be a nurse
-like his mother.
He doesn't even remember my name.

He doesn't remember his only granddaughter
His only grandson
His only daughter
His only Son-in law
His only wife.

This is my Papa Virgil.
An empty house
Abandoned by a good and careful tenant
Lights turned out
Familiar things strewn about
But not even a resemblance of the once lively, strong and proud.

***********

November is National Alzheimer's Disease Awareness Month and National Caregivers Month. Honor a caregiver by creating a tribute:  

http://ping.fm/SuqLy

To my Mom, Dad and Meme, the hardest working caregivers I know.  And to my Papa Virgil; may we find a cure for this cruel disease. 

3 comments:

  1. John read this post to me this morning. Im sorry for your Papa. Alzheimers is such a difficult disease to bear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post was beautiful...and yet so sad. I'm so very sorry about your Papa Virgil....this disease is just terrible. Bless you, my sweet, for such a loving post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this sensitive post. I can tell by your postings that you will make a great nurse!

    Thanks for sharing it. I am sad for the loss of your Papa Virgil as you remember him....but through your memories...he is unchanged in your heart....and that makes a difference in his world.

    ReplyDelete

I don't hate comments!