Monday, November 1, 2010

Takin' It To The Streets

As I progress through my nursing program I learn more and more about the different roles of nurses and the wide spectrum of opportunities that will be available to me when I graduate from this program (and pass the NCLEX of course).  I came into this program wanting to be an oncology nurse (and I still do, more on this in later posts).  That's a pretty narrow focus, and almost daily I encounter possibilities that I had never considered.

In today's post from AJN's Off The Charts, the topic of discussion is outreach nursing.  Click to read "Harm Reduction or Stigmatization: What's Your Approach To Drug-Addicted Patients?"  These Canadian nurses go to their patients rather than waiting for them to be admitted to the hospital - oh, and their patients are illicit drug users and prostitutes.  Take a look at the video below for a segment of the documentary called "Bevel Up:  Drugs, Users and Outreach Nursing".

 

Not only was this topic striking to me because it wasn't something I had ever considered, but it's not a topic that I am very familiar with either.  I don't know that I would be able to do what those nurses do for their patients without judgment or criticism.  However, I know that even doing student nurse rotations in a city hospital, I am likely to encounter some of these folks.  It spurred my thinking and maybe will allow me to adjust my perceptions before I am in the situation.

"To handle yourself, use your head; to handle others, use your heart."
-Donald Laird

I would be interested to know about experiences you all have had, or perspectives on the topic if you are willing to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't hate comments!