Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Reflections

There are many times during nursing school that I have felt so totally incompetent, that I believed I truly would never know enough to be a nurse.  But there are also those times when I think, "Hey, it's okay.  I've got this!"  And so it goes, the roller coaster of self doubt and self confidence.  I imagine it will be that way well into my career.  I can't imagine a day going by without learning something new.

I've been on the transplant floor for my Med/Surg II clinical rotation.  I find it extremely challenging, and at the same time, reaffirming my decision to pursue this career.  Although transplant was not my first choice, I have enjoyed it very much and I learn so much every day.  I have seen a lot of liver and kidney transplant patients, and I feel like the complications of their illnesses give me a good systems perspective on the "big picture" of disease and how the deficiency of one organ can affect everything else in the body and the person.  

I have found that there is a unique aspect of psych nursing to transplants that I am not always prepared for.  It's an interesting dynamic - the life of one person depending on the death (or at least major surgery) of another. And what about the person who is in need of a transplant because of their own actions (e.g. alcoholic liver cirrhosis)?  Man I thought OB was full of ethical dilemmas...

But the most devastating situation I've encountered is a patient in need of a transplant through no fault of their own, who became too sick to accept the organ even if one were to become available.  I was almost sick hearing the attending physician explain to the family that the patient probably would not live long enough to recover and receive the long-awaited organ.  I wondered again as I have often wondered,  
why do such bad things happen to such good people?  
I will always remember that patient  - how they held my hand and thanked me for my help even at the end of life.  And though I felt totally helpless, and my heart was breaking for this family, I was glad to have known them.

But as I consider working in rural medicine, I wonder - would I be able to provide the same care for people that I know and love?  Would I have been able to hold it together if that had been a friend of mine?  I remember my Mom telling me once that she hated being an EMT in the county that we're from, because she knew everybody that she was called to help.  A good friend who is a Nurse Practitioner in the same county told me, "You just do it.  You do what you know how to do, then you break down later."

I would be glad to hear your thoughts on that topic if anyone has experience and is willing to share.  Just leave a comment at the bottom of this post or e-mail me at ntbnotes@gmail.com.

1 comment:

  1. That's true: you do what you have to do-as your NP friend says. I worked in 2 smaller hospitals where I knew a lot of the people I took care of. It might be more awkward when you are starting out, however - with confidence that comes with years in nursing (and it will come!) those people will look up to you and trust you as a practicing professional.

    There is something special about rural nursing. You have to be the best because the conditions you work under aren't always the optimum...and sometimes you work on the fly...

    You sound like you would be very good in whatever area of nursing or whatever size of hospital you work in! :) Don't worry, all nurses starting out have their doubts about whether they can "do it"... it seems to be the common theme among student nurse blogs.

    Love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

I don't hate comments!