Thursday, September 2, 2010

Back To School

When I was little, I wanted to be a veterenarian.  I was always attracted to what it was about the practice of medicine (in animals or humans) that combined art with science - two of my favorite things!  As I grew in age, I also began to grow out of my shyness, which allowed me to enjoy meeting and working with members of the same species.  I realized that animals could not tell you what was wrong or what was hurting, and I could only imagine feeling frustrated and helpless in that career path.  So I decided to be a doctor - a MD - a human practitioner. 

After graduating with my first Baccalaureate degree in Biology, I decided that I really needed some experience before I could make that decision.  I worked in a small outpatient oncology clinic for over four years.  It was there that I found what I believe to be my calling.  I found a couple of nurses there who were terrific mentors to me and really opened up my eyes about patient advocacy, patient safetly, and quality patient care.  I realized that having that hands-on interaction with the patient is really what I desired, not just to be the one prescribing their medications.  Please don't get me wrong...that is not all I think about physicians (especially oncologists!) but I have oversimplified to make a point.

So here I am, five years after my first college degree, in school again for my second Baccalaureate - this time in nursing.  It took me a long time to get here, and each day that we learn a new skill I am not without doubts and reservations about whether I will good enough for my patients, but I finally feel like I am in the right place - like this is something I could do for the rest of my life.

Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Be well.

1 comment:

  1. Do you know how lucky you are to have found what your true calling in life is? I have met so many people in my travels here and there that are just wondering along in life....just...being. (and some of them are waaaay past the age of where that is looked upon as being "cool").
    Realizing what it is that you were meant to do and doing everything you can to achieve that? yeah....that's wickedly cool.
    Proud of you...so very much so.

    ReplyDelete

I don't hate comments!