Friday, September 3, 2010

Procrastination Party!

I hate housework.  But it's amazing how many things that I find HAVE TO BE DONE before I can start my homework or studying.  I should have taken advantage of yesterday and today to review my notes from classes...but instead I did laundry and dishes and cleaned the kitchen and ironed some things and organized some things and watched a John Wayne movie that I've seen a thousand times.

I just started my second semester of five in a BSN program.  At the end of my first week back after summer break, the procrastination has already begun.  The weather has been GORGEOUS here in Denver for the last couple of days and I have just found things other than Pharmacology, Nursing Research and Fundamentals of Nursing to keep me occupied.  I don't think I will get away with it much longer.  My semester is about to get much more involved I think.

Only a week in, we've already plunged into the material!  After drilling us about patient safety, medication errors and recent Institute of Medicine reports on both, we've already learned the rules of medication administration and practiced (on inanimate objects) giving subcutaneous and intramuscular injections.  Fun!  However, I am really not a fan of needles myself, and it makes me really nervous to think about sticking one into someone else!  I want to be helping people, not hurting them!  I guess in the long-run, that is the outcome.  Besides, I'm sure the pain of a routine vaccination is nothing compared to starting an IV, which is the next skill we learn.  The IOM reports also make me worry about the frequency of medication errors, and I think it must be really easy to do - but I don't want to be one of those statistics!  So much to keep in mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't hate comments!