Thursday, September 23, 2010

Nearly-Flying Colors

For crying out loud people, OCCLUDE THE TUBING when giving an IV push medication!!!

Today was my medication administration CPE.  Goodness - four weeks into the semester and we're already having one of our most major practical exams!  How many times did I go over the requirements of that CPE?  A lot!  I even highlighted the little things I was afraid to forget because I was so focused on the medications...

When giving an IV push medication into a primary tubing, you should always occlude the upsteam tubing so the medication goes directly into the vein instead of back up into the tubing.  That is why it is ordered IV push NOW instead of infusion over a certain time period.  This little bullet point was indeed one I had highlighted...and still forgot.  But I bet I don't forget it again!

Luckily, there were critical skills that, if missed, would result in complete failure of the CPE.  Occluding the tubing was not one of those critical elements (although it probably should be).  I still passed my exam - did everything else exactly right!  WHEW!



So relieved to be finished with that.  And I have officially been declared safe to administer medications to patients.

On a totally unrelated note, the season premiere of Grey's Anatomy is tonight!!!!  Therefore, I will be glued to the television for an hour with no thoughts of studying for any of my classes.

Yep, I'm an addict.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats to you!! not that i don't think you can do this, but...i'm still so much in awe of you doing this. you go girl.
    oh, and fyi...that look you have in the picture? if i were a patient and my nurse was making that look? yeah...i'd be a bit concerned!! ;-)

    do you ever watch Gray's Anatomy and think "i could do that."?
    i never do (unless it has something to do NOT in the hospital...heh heh heh!) but i was wondering if you do!
    now go...give out some meds!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...it depends on the episode ;) but yeah, I do think that. And I want to!

    ReplyDelete

I don't hate comments!