Saturday, October 2, 2010

Rest

“Take rest; a field that has rested gives a bountiful crop.” Ovid

For the last couple of days, I have been resting.  I am halfway through the first block of this semester, and feel like I have a pretty good handle on school things.  (That is not to say that I don't need to study!)  Fall is my very favorite time of year, especially here in Colorado, and I needed to take some time to enjoy it this year.  On Wednesday I headed up to the mountains where Josh had finished hunting (sadly, with no success).  We took a well-known scenic drive to see the colors that were left on the trees.  I have never seen or felt anything as beautiful as a Rocky Mountain fall.  Plus I hadn't seen Josh in nearly two weeks!  What a wonderful way to spend some time together.



We ate cinnamon rolls in our favorite coffee shop and took a stroll through our favorite antique store.  We enjoyed the still-warm weather and beautiful sunshine.

**Nursing Connection For The Day**
On Friday, we came back to Denver.  I had to watch a video about the Tuskegee Syphilis Study for my Nursing Research class.  If you don't know about this study, it was a major turning point in the United States for the regulation and protection of human research subjects.  This tragic story, like so many others deserves to be told and understood for sensitivity and understanding in our healthcare and research practices still today.  There are many good sites for information about this and other human research atrocities, but here is a link to the CDC website that I found helpful:  http://www.cdc.gov/tuskegee/timeline.htm

And then I gave Josh a haircut.  Now, one-length haircuts with electric clippers are do-able, but don't ask me to do any more than that.  There is a reason I am not a stylist.



On Friday night, we treated ourselves to a night out at the Grizzly Rose to hear the Josh Abbott Band.  Now, if you've never heard of this band, let me share.  This is a young band from Texas that plays a newer style of country music (are you familiar with "Texas country"?).  The music is good!

 
Why do I know about this band?  The fiddle player, Preston Wait, is from my own little southeast corner of Colorado.  Baca County is one of the largest counties in the state, with the smallest population.  Therefore, the smalltown adage that "everybody knows everybody here" applies to our whole county.  And he's a great musician!



So now, after a full two days of rest, I am ready to hit the books.  The intracacies of foley catheters, bed-baths and HIV medications will not escape me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't hate comments!